Spanish is used in several international institutions, including the United Nations, the European Union and NAFTA. So if you’re aiming at a career in international organizations, you should definitely brush up your Spanish!
International organizations that use Spanish as an official language
Spanish is an official language of the following organizations:
- United Nations (UN/ONU), together with Chinese, English, French, Russian and Arabic;
- Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), together with Chinese, English, French and Arabic;
- United Nations Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (ECLAC), also known as CEPAL in Spanish, together with Portuguese, English and French;
- Interpol, together with Arabic, English and French;
- European Union, together with the official languages of other member states. At the moment, French, English and German are the preferred working languages;
- MercoSur, together with Portuguese;
- NAFTA, together with English and French;
- Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE), together with English, French, German, Italian and Russian;
- Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA), together with English, French and German;
- International Criminal Court (ICC), together with Arabic, Chinese, English, French and Russian. However, English and French are considered the working languages;
- International Labour Organization (ILO), together with English and French;
- International Telecommunication Union (ITU), together with English and French;
- Latin Union, together with other Romance Languages: Portuguese, French, Italian, Romanian and Catalan.
- Organization of Ibero-American States (OEI), together with Portuguese;
- Organization of American States, together with Portuguese, English and French;
- Union of South American Nations (Unasul - Unasur), together with Portuguese, Dutch and English;
- World Rugby, together with English and French;
- World Trade Organization, together with English and French;
- Central American Common Market;
- Caribbean Community (CARICOM), together with English, French and Dutch.
Furthermore, the following organizations must provide simultaneous interpretation or translations to Spanish:
- International Monetary Fund (IMF);
- World Bank;
- International Olympic Committee;
- Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU);
- Universal Postal Union (UPU).